Techiman City FC logo
The Appeals Committee of the Ghana Football Association has overturned the decision of the Ethics Committee to demote Techiman City FC for bribery and match-fixing during last season’s Division One League.
Two weeks ago, Techiman City were slapped with the demotion notice to the third-tier along with Wa African United after a match fixing investigation into their Match day 22 game played at the Damongo Park.
A re-constituted Ethics Committee took the decision after the first ruling was disputed on technical grounds, as chairman DCOP Kofi Boakye had not attained the required years at the bar.
But Techiman City FC vehemently opposed the ruling, filed for a stay of execution so they could play in the Premier League and also appealed the decision.
The club will go into their league opener on Sunday Tomorrow, against regional rivals Berekum Chelsea.
IN THE APPEALS COMMITTEE
GHANA FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION
FRIDAY, 19TH FEBRUARY, 2016
TECHIMAN CITY FC – APPELLANTS
WA AFRICAN F.C. – RESPONDENTS
1. MR. EMMANUEL EFFAH ANNAN – CHAIRMAN
2. ALHAJI FAROUCK SEIDU – VICE CHAIRMAN
3. MR. KWAME TAKYI – MEMBER
4. MR. CLAUDE OPPONG. – MEMBER
5. MR. OWUSU ANSAH AWERE. – MEMBER
DANIEL ODURO. – SECRETARY
The parties presented their submissions on the appropriate forms from the Ghana Football Association.
1. This is an appeal by the appellants herein against the decision of the Ethics Committee dated the 3rd February, 2016 in respect of allegations of bribery and corruption, match fixing and/ or match of convenience made by the Respondents in connection with the 22nd week match of the 2014/15 GN Division One League played between the parties at Damongo Park.
2. The Appeals Committee has considered the appeal and the submissions of both parties and is of the firm view that the appeal has merit and therefore upholds same.
3. Accordingly, the decision of the Ethics Committee dated the 3rd February, 2016 in this matter is hereby set aside.
4. The AC shall in due course give its reasons or grounds of the decision.
5. No costs is awarded.
SIGNED:EMMANUEL EFFAH ANNAN
Credit: GFA Media & Communications