Former West Africa Soccer Academy (WAFA) ES Setif of Algeria and Ghana youth national team goal poacher, Daniel Lomotey has joined Accra based Ghana Premier League side, Legon Cities FC following his return from North Africa.
Following his release from Setif, Lomotey settled on relaunching his career in the domestic league with Legon Cities, one of several clubs that were keen on signing him.
Though his stint in Algeria did not live up to his expectations, Lomotey still had high moments including an assist for Merbah Missala to level to help Setif secure a crucial point in a crucial decider 1-1 draw. One of his goals also secured a CAF Champions League spot for the Algerian giants.
“Yes it’s okay, I am very happy to join Legon Cities because I know they have a very strong technical team which can help me to improve and score more goals to take the team to teh top of the Ghana Premier League,” Lomotey said in an exclusive interview.
“It’s been a long time and I know everyone would be expecting a lot goals from me as I used to score for Ghana and WAFA. As I said, I’m studying and adapting to their system of play and gradually I will adapt to their style of play. And soon, I expect a lot of goals to flow soo” he added.
Lomotey who was leading the Ghana Premier League scoring chart with nine goals before moving to Setif midway through the 2020/21 season, remains steadfastly optimistic on breaking the Ghana Premier League goal scoring record.
“I know everyone will be expecting a lot of goals from me at Legon Cities but I’m sure the goals will come very soon if I start my first match and my aim is to break a lot of football records,” Lomotey pledged.
“My aim is to play and score a lot of goals to catch the eye of the Black Stars coaches and technical team because my aim is to don the Ghana senior jersey one day,” he prayed.
For starters, Daniel Lomotey did set the underlisted achievements before his transfer to Setif:
1. First to score a hat trick in the 2020/21 Ghana Premier League season.
2. He scored the 400th goal in Ghana Premier League history.
3. Scored seven goals in seven GAMES in the Ghana Premier League 2020/21 season.
4. Scored four goals in a single match in the Ghana Premier League 2020/21 season.
5. Daniel Lomotey Agbloe Adzigodi was the youngest player at age sixteen (16) to score against both Accra Hearts Of Oak and Kumasi Asante Kotoko in the same season.
6. Scored the only two goals at the 2019 Africa U-20 Afcon tournament in Niger for a Ghana squad that included goalkeeper Ibrahim Danlad, defender Gideon Mensah and playmaker Mohammed Kudus who were all part of the Black Stars squad at last years FIFA World Cup in Qatar.
7. Played for all the national youth teams in Ghana as well as the local senior side, Black Galaxies.
8. First player from Ada to play for all ghana national teams.
Meanwhile, Lomotey has expressed sadness over the tragedy which has trapped fellow Ada-born football star, Christian Atsu.
“I was sad to hear about the earthquake that struck Turkey and Syria, especially for Atsu since we both hail from Ada. It looks bad but I’m praying something positive happens,” Lomotey said.
Credit: Dennis Narterh Adzigodi