The vice president of the Ghana Rugby Football Union (GRFU), James Nunoo, has rejected the five-year ban Rugby Africa has slapped on him after his alleged failure to substantiate bribery allegations against Coralie van Den Berg, General Manager of the continent’s governing body.
Rugby Africa has suspended the GRFU vice-president, claiming he failed to assist in investigations, a decision he has vehemently rejected.
In a 10-point press statement sighted by Joy Sports, Mr. Nunoo said he did not receive any official communication from Rugby Africa before and during the bribery allegation investigations.
Here is James Nunoo’s full statement
REPLY TO LETTER FROM AZZOUZ AIB
- Rugby Africa never sent an official communication to me regarding any complaint or petition lodged with it by Coralie against me nor was there any petition served on me by Rugby Africa.
- Rugby Africa never officially communicated with me about the appointment of a committee or judge to adjudicate any matter involving Coralie and myself.
- This person only called me by WhatsApp video to mention to me that he is the one to mediate the impasse between myself and Herbert Mensah.
- Is it not strange that a reputable body like Rugby Africa would seek to communicate via such mode?
- I therefore treated such correspondence with suspect and did, and still do not believe same is from Rugby Africa.
- Again, there is no position in Ghana Rugby Football Union as General Manager and anyone referred to as such is a misrepresentation.
- There is also no President of Ghana Rugby Football Union. The former President Mr. Herbert Mensah is removed from office and is under investigations by the Ghana Police Financial Forensics Unit of the Criminal Investigations Department for gross financial misconduct at Ghana Rugby Football Union.
- Until it is officially communicated to me by Rugby Africa about a complaint against me by Coralie, and for me to respond to same, I will continue to treat any correspondence from the person purporting to come from Rugby Africa with the contempt it deserves.
- I am ready to submit myself to due process within the LIMITATIONS of the rules governing the game of Rugby.
- In the Meantime I will disregard your letter dated 30th May, 2022 until I receive official communication from Rugby Africa acting by its President or General Secretary.
Credit: Joy Online